Did you know not being active enough (being physically inactive) kills more people than smoking, diabetes and obesity together? It’s amazing but true. Yet it’s really easy to put right – just 15 minutes a day can start to make a difference.
Being active benefits our health in lots of ways, regular physical activity can help prevent a lot of serious illnesses, and can reduce the impact or symptoms of many illnesses. It is also good for our mental health, it makes us feel good.
Did you know :
- Physical inactivity is the fourth biggest killer in the world!
- Being inactive is as dangerous as smoking 20 cigarettes a day.
- Lack of activity is linked with many health problems including heart disease, type 2 diabetes, obesity, cancer, dementia, depression and osteoporosis.
- As little as 15 minutes of regular daily exercise is enough to make you live longer.
The more exercise you do the more benefit you get.
Being inactive :
- Increases the risk of breast cancer by 20-30%.
- Increases the risk of colon cancer by 30-40%.
- Significantly increases the risk of type 2 diabetes and all its complications.
- Increases the risk of heart disease.
- Increases the risk of high blood pressure and complications of a stroke.
- Increases the risk of obesity and all its complications.
- Increases the risk of osteoporosis and resulting pain and fractures.
- Increases the risk of falls in later life.
- Increases the level of ‘bad’ cholesterol and reduces protective HDL cholesterol.
- Is a risk factor for spinal disc degeneration.